Wednesday, April 15, 2015

It's no longer taboo...


Disability & Sex



It's no longer taboo



Do disabled people have sex? How can they if they can't even walk or go to the bathroom by themselves? Can they even feel it? Does it cause them pain? 

Interested in the answers to those questions OR are you one of those people who are interested in possibly dating a disabled person? Do you have your eye on a good looking guy or girl and the only thing holding you back is the fact that they're disabled? Let me ease your mind a little...

Just like "normal" people, the disabled HAVE SEX too! Every person is different in how they go about getting the "deed" done but believe me, it can still be accomplished. Every disability is different however, so limitations of every disability vary. Whether or not sex will cause pain for the disabled  person in question depends on what kind of disability they have. For instance...

I have several chronic pain conditions including but not limited to: Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Osteoporosis. I, personally, can no longer stand, walk or straddle my fiance. When I met him, we were both living in a nursing home and I had already lost the ability to walk and most of my range of motion as well (the ability to move or stretch my limbs out normally). When I was a teen, I discovered the spooning position is best for me when I have sex. There were other positions I enjoyed as well but spooning was the most comfortable and least painful choice. Yes, it does cause pain for me but under the circumstances it is a pain I can deal with.

For someone else with the same exact conditions, it could be totally different. They may be able to walk and straddle their partner. They may not experience as much or any pain.  

Why is this topic so taboo? Why do people cringe or change the subject when sex is brought up around their disabled loved one's? 

I was lucky! As I was growing up my mother taught me to love my body, be expressive and be safe when it came to sex and love. My mother is a child of the 60s and 70s, so she passed some of her "make love not war" ideology on to me.


For those of you reading this who are interested in dating a disabled person, here's another thought. IT COULD BE FUN! The equipment it takes to care for some disabled people could be used to your advantage! With the help of the equipment, and some patience, the both of you could invent a whole new chapter to the Kama Sutra!

 Disabled people have fetishes and dreams just like norms (able bodied ppl) do. We fantasize about our knight in shining armor and/or having threesomes with 2 beautiful women. 

Even the elderly in nursing homes are having sex these days. Baby boomers are getting older and bringing their "flower power" and "sexual revolution" ideology with them to the facilities.

What people need to realize is that we are all sexual beings, disabled or not. We may look different, talk different or move differently but our dreams, and wants are still the same as any human. We want to be treated as equals! By the community AND our perspective sexual partners. 

If you're attracted to us, tell us, make a move! You just might be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.








No comments: