Monday, April 13, 2015

Today's topic is staring...

STARING: to gaze fixedly and intently, especially with the eyes wide open.




Growing up as a disabled child, I had to deal with both children and adults staring at me a lot. When it comes to young children (and when I say young, I mean under 8 yrs old), it's almost expected but when it comes to adults, they should have the wisdom to know better. Parents should teach their children to have basic manners by the age of 8 yrs old....
My mom did with my younger brother and I. Nobody likes feeling like they're a freak and when you just stare at a disabled person (without acknowledging them as a human being), that's how you make some of us feel. My mom taught me that people stare mostly because they're afraid or don't understand what/who they're staring at. She also said not to let it get on my nerves because I'd never be able to change it. 

As I got older, when I would see adults and children staring at me or whispering about me, I would go out of my way to let them know I knew they were staring or whispering about me. Usually they didn't expect the "finger" or a dirty look back. I'd stick my tongue out at the little kids or just make a silly face. Immature, I know, but as I got even older I learned to just ignore it. 
One day though, I had an idea... Instead of making faces, sticking out tongues, flipping the "bird" or ignoring them, why not just confront them some how. So, if the moment allowed, I did. The person or people would be so taken aback by the fact that I confronted their staring that they didn't know how to respond. They'd be plainly and obviously embarrassed, so I would put them in their place and keep it moving. My mom also taught me never to let another person disrespect you, always stick up for yourself! 

You are your best advocate!























1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a very open and honest person; so I hope any of you, disabled or not, that have a question or comment concerning my blog, will post them. Don't hold back, I can take it!